The Story behind it: In the past, whenever I tried to make hot chocolate from scratch the chocolate taste would always be too strong, but when I tried to add less chocolate it would be too weak, I could never find a balance. But then one day, when I was enjoying some chocolate vanilla swirl ice cream (Yes in the middle of fall, that’s Florida for ya!), it hit me! Vanilla is the opposite flavor from chocolate, but they still go very well together and it can be used to balance the chocolate flavor! And so I have finally finished my hot chocolate recipe and have also discovered that a sprinkle of cinnamon is a great topping for hot chocolate.
Makes 1 mug
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips (the higher the cocoa percentage the more bitter it will be)
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup organic whole milk
- In a small pot, heat the milk on high heat until it starts to steam.
- Next add the sugar, vanilla and chocolate chips into a mug.
- Add the hot milk and stir until well combine.
- Top with all-natural marshmallows, fresh whipped cream and a little bit of cinnamon and enjoy while hot!